You are here
Tornado Safety Rules:
1. Seek shelter under a sturdy table in the basement.
2. If no basement is available, go to a first floor, small internior room or a room on the opposite side from a tornado. Stay away from windows.
3. In schools, churches, and shopping centers, go to designated shelters away from outside walls, glass, and large rooms (malls, auditoriums). Get under a table or counter or in a restroom or small storeroom. DO NOT GO TO YOUR PARKED CAR.
4. In motels, lie down in the lowest-level interior hallway away from glass. Dive under a bed or pull a mattress on top of you as a last resort.
5. In a vehicle, drive away at a right angle to the storm movement. DO NOT GET CAUGHT IN YOUR VEHICLE. Abandon your vehicle and lie in a ditch or culvert or under a low bridge.
Overall: Underground and under a table are the watchwords. People who get under something usually survive.
Seek shelter on the first floor in an interior room, such as a closet or bathroom. Small rooms with a small floor area tend to be more structurally sound.