You are here
Teacher Education Program Mission, Goals, and Conceptual Framework
The Teacher Education Program prepares candidates for an Initial Kansas Teaching license with a liberal arts foundation. The teacher education department prepares highly qualified teachers who will contribute to the teaching profession and who will positively impact students in Pk-12 school systems. Our candidates will have a broad perspective, who think critically, reflectively and creatively; who are humane and committed to meeting the learning needs of all students; and who guide students to become effective and productive citizen in the 21st century.
Students who complete a Bachelor of Arts in Teacher Education will be able to:
- Demonstrate depth and breadth of knowledge and interdisciplinary connections inherent in the level and content area studied.
- Apply state and national standards, research-verified best practices, critical thinking, clear and thoughtful communication, creative expression, and honest open inquiry in designing, implementing, differentiating, assessing, and reflecting on effective pedagogy.
- Demonstrate professional dispositions in varied educational settings with regard to a diversity of students and all members of the school community.
- Foster an engaging classroom environment.
- Demonstrate their teaching skills effectively to complete a successful clinical practice.
KWU Conceptual Framework
It is the philosophy of the Teacher Education Program that a liberal arts education and professional training will produce a teacher candidate who has academic and professional excellence, a strong sense of spiritual and personal well-being, social responsibility, and the skills to be a reflective teacher with the potential for educational leadership.
The Teacher Education Program prepares reflective teachers with the potential for professional leadership who: demonstrate academic and professional excellence, have sound personal qualities, have a commitment to education and life-long learning, demonstrate world citizenship, and are committed to faith.
The Teacher Education program is committed to the selection and preparation of future elementary, secondary and special education teachers who reflect in a positive manner the essence of the mission statement of the University; academic and professional excellence, spiritual development, personal well-being and social responsibility.