A Lifetime of Pioneers
You are here
Henry M. Mayo was the first graduate of Kansas Wesleyan. He was a Methodist minister serving the area district at various churches his entire life. His granddaughter, Helen Mayo Graves, is the mother of Martha Graves Reese '74 and former Governor Bill Graves '76.
Dr. M.M. Stolz understood the need for an institution of higher education under the auspices of the Church; it was he, who at the Beloit Conference of 1883, seconded the resolution calling for the establishment of such an institution. Stolz was instrumental in laying the cornerstone of the administration building.
Dr. Aaron Schuyler was a man of rare intellectual and spiritual gifts. During his time at Kansas Wesleyan, he was praised for his splendid work as a scholar, teacher, and administrator. He served as President and Schuyler Hall was named in his honor.
Dr. John Lockwood, at the Beloit Conference in 1883, asked that steps be initiated toward the establishment of Kansas Wesleyan. His family later gave a generous gift to the university and Lockwood Hall was named in his honor.
T.W. Roach was responsible for launching the Kansas Wesleyan Business College in 1892. For 21 years, Dr. Roach gave the very best of his teaching and administrative gifts to the building of the university and the Business College. Roach Street in Salina bears his name.
Dr. Marshall Stanton led Kansas Wesleyan for more than 18 years as President and CEO. He took KWU from some of its worst financial years to ensuring the university was financially stable by a major increase in the KWU endowment from $1.8M to over $18M in 2000.