You are here
Emergency Management Program Mission and Goals
The mission of the emergency management major at Kansas Wesleyan University is to give students the theoretical knowledge, practical skills, and the sense of duty necessary to help save lives and property from the devastating impact of disasters.
Students who complete the Bachelor of Arts in Emergency Management should be able to:
- Understand and apply administrative, management, grant research and writing; leadership skills; ethics; managing projects, people and change; inter and intra agency coordinating, collaborating and networking.
- Demonstrate understanding of legal issues and concerns; Stafford Act and Patriot Act (as they relate to emergency management); legal environment and disaster laws.
- Utilize technology such as GIS, GPS, MIS, Emergency Communication, Interoperability communications and computer skills.
- Demonstrate understanding of national response framework, local emergency operation plans, and response agreements/memorandums of understanding.
- Identify Actions to reduce or eliminate risk to people and property from hazards and their effects including long-term solutions to reducing risk. Additional topics include: hazard identification and mapping, design and construction applications, land-use planning, financial incentives, insurance and structural controls.