You are here
Kansas Wesleyan University Philharmonic Choir
The Philharmonic Choir is the concert choir at KWU. The membership is open to any KWU students and the ensemble has students in all areas of academic studies. This group tours each year, regionally and sometimes nationally, performing a variety of music from classical to contemporary. Also, the group tours internationally every four years. Past tours include Tour of China in 2006, California in 2008, England in 2010 and Germany/Czech Republic in 2014. (Pictured: The long-running Kansas Wesleyan University holiday tradition, Christmas By Candlelight, with the KWU Philharmonic Choir and the choirs of two of the local area high schools.)
The Wesleyan Chorale is a select vocal ensemble drawn from the Philharmonic Choir. The audition to belong to this group is held each fall, and membership requires a one-year commitment. The ensemble performs and entertains in a variety of venues both on- and off-campus throughout the academic year.
Kansas Wesleyan University String Orchestra and Philharmonic Orchestra
The String and Philharmonic Orchestras at KWU perform the highest quality of literature written for orchestra. The ensemble rehearses weekly and performs both on- and off-campus concerts. With the KWU Orchestra Program, students have variety of opportunities to perform and use their skills. They include:
- Performing with the Salina Symphony – The premier concert orchestra in North Central Kansas
- Performing with world-renowned guest artists for the annual KWU International Music Festival
- Performing in small ensembles (quartets/trios), including the Honors String Quartet
- Performing with local churches including the church orchestras/worship praise bands
- Being hired as student assistants to the Salina Youth Symphony Program
- Featured soloists for the KWU Orchestra's "The American Prize" Ernst Bacon Award finalist nomination, 2018
- Kansas Association of String Teachers Competition – Grand Prize, 2017
- Featured soloists at the KMEA In-Service Workshop, 2017
- Professional engagements for the KWU Board of Trustees, Salina Symphony, Rebecca Morrison House, to name a few.
This ensemble specializes in performing the richest and most demanding music in the concert band and wind ensemble repertoire. The Wind Ensemble stays busy performing concerts, festivals, tours, and community functions. Select members of the Wind Ensemble will join the String Orchestra to perform 1-2 full-orchestra pieces on each concert.
This is a select ensemble that focuses on jazz techniques and repertoire. The Jazz Ensemble stays busy preparing for concerts, festivals, and community functions.
KWU's newest ensemble! This group performs exciting and eclectic percussion music from all over the world.
Coyote Pep Band
The Coyote Pep Band provides excitement and spirit to to the game day atmosphere and other university events, including home football and basketball games, as well as select volleyball and wrestling matches.
Advanced instrumental students have an opportunity to perform with the Salina Symphony, central Kansas's premier full symphony orchestra. Each season, the Symphony performs five subscription concerts, plus a traditional Christmas Festival concert, on the stage of the beautifully-restored Stiefel Theatre for the Performing Arts in downtown Salina, KS.
For more information, check out Salina Symphony's website: salinasymphony.org