You are here
Music Program Mission and Goals
It is the mission of the Department of Music to provide students with a comprehensive music education by focusing on:
- A theoretical understanding of the musical language
- The art of performance
- The spiritual role music plays, individually and culturally
Students who complete the Music Education or Music Performance degree will be able to:
- Demonstrate technical and artistic proficiency with the primary instrument.
- Have a broad understanding of the literature and pedagogical approaches as related to the specific major.
- Demonstrate a fundamental understanding of music theory and music history.
- Demonstrate a fundamental understanding of both music composition and improvisation.
- Recognize and experience a variety of music genres and performance mediums.
- Contribute to the community and the profession through performances in community, professional and religious organizations.
- Help foster an appreciation and support of the importance of music within the society.
- Ready and support those who will teach and perform music in the future.