You are here

Enrollment Procedures

Student Course Load

Undergraduate students must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours to be classified as a full-time student for the fall or spring semesters. Graduate students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours to be classified as a full-time student for fall or spring semesters. Students may enroll for any number of credit hours through 22 without special permission. Students who wish to carry more than 22 credit hours may do so provided they have permission of the Executive Vice President/Provost, and preferably have a 3.25 cumulative grade point average. An overload fee also is charged to the student for hours attempted in excess of 18 (see fee schedule). Activity-based courses are excluded from overload fees (varsity sports, orchestra, instrumental ensembles, choir, applied music lessons, and speech and drama activities).  For further clarification, please contact Enrollment and Financial Services.  Credit received at the beginning of a semester by means of a special examination is not counted for these purposes. Students are not authorized to enroll in two classes which run concurrently.

Minimum Course Enrollment

The University policy expects that at least six students be enrolled in a course for it to be offered during the semester. Courses with lower than this required number of students may be canceled.

Maximum Course Enrollment

All courses, for reasons of pedagogy or limited facilities, have a maximum number of students that can be allowed to enroll. Students are encouraged to pre-register whenever possible.

Withdrawal from the University

Students who wish to withdraw from ALL courses must first contact the Enrollment and Financial Services office for forms and assistance. Students withdrawing from all courses will meet with the Director of Student Development and Financial Services Office.  It is important that students who wish to withdraw follow proper procedures to be officially withdrawn. An exit interview must be completed. Students should consult the academic calendar for the official deadline to withdraw. Failure to properly withdraw will result in a failing grade for all courses.


Admission to or enrollment in the University may not be based on fraudulent documentation or statement. Discovery of such fraud will subject the student to immediate suspension and forfeiture of all tuition and fees paid. Any balances owing the University become due and payable upon suspension.

Open-Option Program

Not ready to declare a major?  Unsure of your career goals?  In the spirit of the liberal arts, the open-option (undecided) major provides the opportunity for students to engage in classes and experience a variety of content areas before declaring a major.  Throughout the first two years, students explore courses that not only fulfill Liberal Studies requirements, but also provide introduction and insight into the disciplines that they might be interested in.  Students learn about a) various majors, their requirements and what recent graduates are doing; b) themselves through inventories and personality testing; and c) about career development and opportunities in the work world.  All activities in the open-option program are voluntary in nature, but provide students an intentional approach to selecting a major and career path that fits them, and that is based on clear information rather than speculation.

An important feature of the open-option program is that students are assigned to an open-option advisor, who encourages students to select courses that will provide some foundational structure as well as explore the nature of the subject matter while meeting requirements for timely graduation.  Students may declare a major at any time during the first two years, based on their readiness and the knowledge gained through experience and research of their interests, abilities, and the opportunities available on campus and in the workplace.  Students must declare a major by the beginning of their junior year.

Directed Study

Directed studies may be assigned when extraordinary means must be used to help students address their curriculum requirements. They are not to be used for bypassing fundamental portions of the curriculum, for the convenience of the student, for gaining athletic eligibility or for completing load requirements. Advisors may recommend substitute course requirements for required departmental curriculum in lieu of directed studies where appropriate.   A fee of $50 per credit hour is assessed.

Requirements for the Directed Study are as follows:

  1. The student must have Junior or Senior standing.  Only one directed study may be taken in a given term.
  2. The student must have demonstrated curriculum deficiency and/or insurmountable scheduling difficulty in a required area of study.
  3. A syllabus for the course must be on file and a list of requirements for the course must be presented to the student.
  4. All other avenues, including recommended substitute courses, must be explored prior to application for directed study.
  5. Faculty are normally limited to two directed studies in a given academic year.  Adjunct faculty are not normally assigned directed studies.
  6. Directed studies must have the approval of the instructor, advisor, division chair, and Executive Vice President/Provost.
  7. Application for directed study must be complete (including signatures and syllabus), submitted, and approved before the last day of the prior semester.

Independent Study

Independent study consists of research, readings, or other scholarly investigation or creative work. It is a program established to allow students to pursue studies which cut across departmental and divisional lines or to do work in a specific department in which work is not offered in the catalog courses. It provides opportunities for individual academic performance, emphasizes the personal relationship of instructor and student, encourages creativity, and enables the student to work in areas outside the formal academic fields of study. This program is not mandatory, and should not

be used to cover material offered in a regular departmental or divisional course. The program is open to students at any level except first semester freshmen.  A fee of $50 per credit hour is assessed.

Requirements for the Independent Study are as follows:

  1. The student will be supervised by a committee of at least two faculty members.
  2. The student must complete the independent study enrollment form which is located in the    Enrollment & Financial Services Office.
  3. The student must secure permission to enroll in the independent study from the committee members, the student’s advisor, the Division Chairperson and the Executive Vice President/Provost. This process must be completed and the application submitted before the last day of the prior semester.
  4. Independent study may not constitute more than one-half the student’s load for any semester.
  5. The student will be required to submit periodic progress reports.
  6. Completed work will be evaluated and a grade assigned by the committee members.
  7. A project evaluation form, signed by committee members, will be filed with the Academic   Dean at the conclusion of the study. This form will contain the following information:

                               -   Name of the student and other appropriate information
                               -   Type of project
                               -   Location of project (library, art gallery, etc.)
                               -   Summary
                               -   Basis of evaluation and grade
                               -   Signatures of committee member


An intensive field experience is established through a community organization with dual supervision by an agency coordinator and a member of the faculty. Placement will be based on the student’s career orientation. The internship may be taken for more than one semester in the same agency or in different agencies.  A fee of $50 per credit hour is assessed.

Requirements for the Internship are as follows:

  1. The student must obtain the consent of the faculty sponsor (instructor) and the agency.
  2. The student must complete the internship enrollment form.
  3. The student must secure permission to enroll in the internship from the student’s advisor, the student’s faculty sponsor (instructor), the Division Chairperson, and the Executive Vice President/Provost.
  4. A syllabus, course objectives, course outline, and student assignments must be submitted to the Executive Vice President/Provost at the same time as the internship enrollment form in order to secure enrollment approval for the internship.
  5. A written (printed) and signed agreement with the agency or agencies with whom the internship is arranged, outlining specific experiences and responsibilities of the agency, supervising faculty sponsor, and the student must be on file with the Enrollment & Financial Services Office before the last day of the prior semester.
  6. A method for evaluation of student performance and attainment of the objectives must be developed.
  7. Faculty determine the number of credit hours to be awarded. The number of credit hours is authorized in advanced. Each credit hour requires a minimum of 50 clock hours of participation. (e.g. A 3 credit hour internship would require at least 150 clock hours of participation.) An Internship Guidelines Handbook is available in the Executive Vice President/Provost’s Office, PH 130.

Credit for Field Experience

Credit for field experiences, for foreign travel, community service, and cross-cultural experiences, must have prior approval by the Executive Vice President /Provost. All such experiences must be under the sponsorship of a Kansas Wesleyan University faculty member (or of an acceptable/comparable faculty member from another institution). The faculty member will be responsible for structuring the trip and satisfying the educational expectations of Kansas Wesleyan University.


As a general rule, field/cross cultural experiences may allow no more than three credit hours, providing the following requirements are satisfied:

  • Development of a syllabus that includes the goals and objectives of the field trip, the prerequisites that must be accepted before the trip, arrangements for liability coverage, the academic requirements which are a part of the trip, and the means of evaluation to be used by the supervisor.
  • The course number and title for the course must be specified in the syllabus. This is done in consultation with the Enrollment & Financial Services Office and/or the Academic Dean.
  • As a general rule, the student will be required to provide a term paper and/or a comprehensive examination and to provide a journal or log book of his or her experiences on the trip.
  • The trip or experience must be planned at least a semester prior to scheduled departure and the Executive Vice President/Provost must be apprised of the planning. Costs for transportation, board and room should be specified and, to the degree possible contracts for the above developed at that time.

Study Abroad Policy

Credit will be given for those courses taken in overseas study which are compatible with the liberal studies program and/or with the student’s major. Students have the option of transferring credit back to KWU or maintaining student status at KWU while attending a foreign college or university for evaluation by the Kansas Wesleyan University Enrollment & Financial Services Office. Students choosing to maintain student status at KWU while attending an accredited foreign institution must file the following information with the Enrollment & Financial Services Office prior to the intended semester of study:

  1. A plan of intended overseas study approved by the student’s advisor, Department Chair, Executive Vice President/Provost, and the Enrollment & Financial Services Office.
  2. A letter of confirmation regarding specific course enrollments from the foreign institution. (If not available in advance, this must be faxed to the Kansas Wesleyan University Enrollment & Financial Services Office within one week after commencement of attendance.
  3. A final transcript must be forwarded to Kansas Wesleyan University by the foreign institution as soon as possible after conclusion of the semester.

Students are encouraged to take advantage of KWU’s Study Abroad Program. A fee of $50 per credit hour will be assessed (maximum of $300).  Credit may be earned by studying abroad and applied to the student’s Liberal Studies requirements or major/minor. Plans for Study Abroad should be made well in advance of the study time abroad. Kansas Wesleyan University students, through cooperative agreements with Kansas State University and Central College (Iowa), may study at numerous locations in Europe, Australia or Mexico. Some locations offer instruction in English, while others offer instruction in either Spanish or French. Students interested in Study Abroad should contact Dr. Steve Hoekstra, Study Abroad Coordinator, or the Enrollment & Financial Services Office for further information. Students maintaining student status at KWU while attending a foreign institution may be eligible for federal student financial assistance programs and may contact the Enrollment & Financial Services Office for further information.