You are here
Pioneer Hall & Sams Chapel (1922—present)
Construction for the new administration building, officially known as the Hall of the Pioneers, began in 1921 after the original administration building was moved to the southwest corner of campus. Much of the framework for the new building was completed by 1923. On March 29, 1924, the cornerstone laying ceremony took place with the deposit of a time capsule. Members of the community grew frustrated by the lengthy construction project, so a campaign was launched by local professionals with the goal of raising $50,000. Thanks to a generous donation of $25,000 by E.C. Sams, the founder of J.C. Penney, the $50,000 was raised by 1925. On May 30, 1926 Sams Chapel was dedicated in honor of E.C. Sams’ parents. The project was finished in late 1929, allowing for spring classes to take place in the building during 1930. The dedication and celebration of the completed Hall of the Pioneers, for all of the pioneers who gave their time and funds to maintain the university, took place on September 14, 1930.