You are here
Policies and Procedures
Al Nelson Student Success Center Policies and Procedures
Please note that accommodation-related forms and documents are located in the bar on the right-hand side of the page.
The mission of the center is to provide tutoring and other assistance to students to enable them to successfully complete their courses and improve their learning skills, particularly in English/writing skills and math. In addition, the center offers study skills, testing, handouts and Internet resources which will help students develop the skills and confidence needed to become successful independent learners.
The Success Center will benefit any student who wishes to improve their grades, who needs clarification on information they may have missed in class, who has trouble studying or who gets easily distracted from their academics. Services are provided at no cost to each KWU student and are provided on either a walk-in basis or by appointment. The atmosphere is friendly, studious and relaxed.
Tracking students: Students will sign in upon entering the SSC.
Referral Forms: Staff and faculty can write a referral for a student who is struggling or at-risk to the SSC for tutoring or assistance. A referral form developed by the Director can be used.
The SSC is committed to ensuring that all information regarding a student is kept confidential as required by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).Any information collected is used for the benefit of the student. This information may include grades, attendance and disability information.No one other than the Director of the Student Success Center has access to this information.
- To take responsibility for their own learning by seeking help when needed.
- Treat all SSC furniture and equipment with care and respect.
- Be pleasant and respectful to staff and tutors.
- Bring all materials to tutoring session.
- Successfully complete Tutor Training.
- Arrive on time and provide assistance in the academic area they are tutoring.
- Students will comply with KWU computer use policy.
- No Facebook or other social networking, internet surfing, chatting or skyping or downloading software.
Probation and Provisional Students
- Supports provided to students to encourage a positive learning environment.
- Students with special needs and disabilities must identify themselves privately to the Provost’s office.
- Supports and services will be provided in the SSC as needed.