You are here

Veteran/Military Education Benefits & Tuition Assistance Programs

We thank you for your service to our country. It is an honor to serve you in return.       

Who is the KWU VA Certifying Official?

The VA School Certifying Official at KWU is the Assistant Registrar, Nissa Inzunza.

The SCO is responsible for keeping the VA informed of the enrollment status of Veterans and other eligible persons. SCO’s are required to maintain records of VA students and make all records available for inspection, as well as keep up-to-date on current VA rules and benefits. Effective August 1, 2018, all School Certifying Officials are required to complete training every year beginning October 1 through August 31 of the following year. SCO’s must take the online module that corresponds with their facility type. Additionally, IHLs, NCD and Vocational Flight Facilities must take 3 electives of their choosing (Self-Paced/ Online, Instructor Led or Virtual). 

If you will be receiving VA Benefits, please fill out the Request for Enrollment Certification and submit to Nissa Inzunza, Pioneer Hall Room 285. Please also inform Nissa Inzunza if you will be using tuition assistance. 

How do I use my VA Educational Benefits & Tuition Assistance at KWU?

Service members and dependents can follow the Steps to Benefits Checklist to apply for educational benefits and provide the appropriate documentation to KWU.

Tuition Assistance rules vary by branch of service and can even vary between components within the branches depending on whether the Service member is Active duty, Reserve, or National Guard. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process' and restrictions. Students are encouraged to contact their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service prior to enrolling. Once a prospective student receives approval from their ESO, they should inform KWU of their eligibility. Links to the corresponding services’ educational portals are provided below.

United States Air Force
United States Army
United States Navy
United States Marines
United States Coast Guard

For more information, please contact Nissa Inzunza at 785-833-4318 or 

In what VA/Military programs does KWU participate?

Veterans Administration Educational Benefits


A veteran of US Armed Services, widows of veterans, dependents of disabled or deceased veterans. Contact the KWU Registrar or your VA Education Benefits Officer for forms and details.

Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance (yellow ribbon program)

Full tuition; books up to $1,000; monthly housing allowance

Eligible veterans enrolled in VA-eligible programs can qualify for 100% tuition paid under this program.

Tuition Assistance*  Varies Armed Forces Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its members.

*Tuition Assistance is a first payer and will be the first source of financial assistance applied to educational charges, before other forms of financial assistance. The DoD has established a policy that Federal Tuition Assistance will not be authorized for classes for which a member is also receiving benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve program, Reserve Educational Assistance Program, or any other GI Bill® program other than the Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty program or the Post-9/11 GI Bill® program. 

What other programs are available for VA/Military personnel and dependents?

The U.S. Dept. of Education Office of Federal Student Aid offers:

Veterans and military personnel and dependents are eligible for the same Federal financial aid programs for which civilians are eligible. The application forms and processes are the same as well.  Please see those described in detail elsewhere in this Website.

Check out the Marine Corps Scholarships!

What Is the role of the Student Financial Planning Office in regard to VA/Military personnel and dependents?

Veterans and Military personnel and dependents are eligible for the same Federal financial aid programs for which civilians are eligible. The application forms and processes are the same as well.  Please see those described in detail elsewhere in this Website. Therefore, the Student Financial Planning Office assists veterans and military personnel and their dependents with the non-VA and non-military related programs and benefits.

Note that the role of the Student Financial Planning Office also includes the integration of the two types of assistance. It is the duty of the SFP Office to ensure that regulations and rules governing these programs are followed. Students who receive funding to cover 100% of tuition at KWU from sources such as Tuition Exchange, Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill ® qualifying for the Yellow Ribbon Program, or Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Programs will not be considered for Kansas Wesleyan University institutional scholarships.  

Who should I contact?

Both the military and the Veterans Administration have encouraged KWU to refer veterans/military personnel and their dependents to their VA Benefits Counselor or their Education Officer for this guidance and assistance. We stand ready to help you in any other way we can. Below are some important contacts you may need to know.

Jasmin Dauner; Registrar and Secondary SCO
Amanda McLaughlin; Director of Financial Aid
Michelle Jensen; Associate Director of Student Financial Planning
Bryan McCullar; Director of the Albert Nelson Student Success Center
Patsy Stockman; Career Services Coordinator

Additional Information & Resources

KWU wishes to provide meaningful information to students on the financial cost of attendance at an educational institution so military students can make informed decisions on where to attend school. Check out our Net Price Calculator to estimate your net price!

Kansas Wesleyan university has a FAFSA priority deadline of February 1. For more information on priority dates and our financial aid application process, please visit our How Do I Apply For Financial Assistance webpage.

KWU takes steps to help ensure that it has the appropriate programmatic and national or regional accreditation and is verifiable by any and all partner agencies. For more information about Kansas Wesleyan University’s accreditation, please visit our Accreditation webpage. For information about each academic department, please visit our Academic Departments webpage. Information about KWU’s accreditation may also be located on page 17 of the 2020-2021 Academic Catalog.