You are here
Department of Biology
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
The Department of Biology offers a wide range of courses designed to provide the student community with a comprehensive exposure to the living world. The curriculum of the department is designed to introduce students to the varieties of organisms and phenomena found in the realm of biology. The department seeks to educate its students beyond the simple acquisition of information by encouraging active student participation in the actual “doing” of biology. Hands-on lecture activities are incorporated into most courses, and laboratories allow students to carry out experiments and procedures performed by professionals in those fields of biology.
- Environmental Sustainability and Resilience Studies
Why Study Biology at KWU? You'll "do" biology!
Students can be right in thick of nature and learn by doing in the lab and in the field. If you love the outdoors and wildlife, if you enjoy studying living things, if you are deeply curious about the traits of various species and have the patience to engage in long studies in potentially messy settings, KWU can get you started on a rewarding journey of exploration and discovery about the fascinating natural world around us.
The department especially strives to encourage the development of the following qualities and abilities in its students:
- An appreciation of, curiosity about, and respect for living things and biological processes
- A basic understanding of the important concepts and generalizations in biology
- The ability to critically analyze past, present, and future ideas in biology
- The skills necessary to conduct meaningful biological research in the field, the laboratory, and the library
- The motivation to apply their knowledge of biology to improving their own lives and the global environment
- Ability to successfully pursue advanced degrees or hold jobs related to biology