Skip to content
Kansas Wesleyan University

What is the Federal Work-Study Program?

Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses.

Here’s a quick overview of Federal Work-Study:

  • It provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school.
  • It’s available to undergraduate, graduate and professional students with financial need.
  • It’s available to full-time or part-time students.
  • It’s administered by schools participating in the Federal Work-Study Program.

More information about the Federal Work Study Program

Who Can Qualify for Work-Study?

In order to be eligible for Federal Work-Study, students must be enrolled in a minimum of six credit hours during the fall and spring semesters. To apply for Federal Work-Study, students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Because funding for the Federal Work-Study Program is limited, applying by the KWU priority deadline (March 1) gives students the best chance of receiving Federal Work-Study funds.

How Do Qualified Students Find a Job?

Students interested in a work-study position must stop by the K-Dub Hub, Pioneer Hall 285, to make sure that they are eligible to receive Federal Work-Study funds prior to applying for jobs. Stop by today to find out if you qualify!

Remember, being eligible for work-study is not a guarantee that a student will be placed in a work-study job.  Work-study positions are not pre-assigned.  Students must apply for jobs and be hired on an individual basis.  Most work-study positions begin in the Fall semester and are on a first come,first served basis.

Payroll and Paperwork

Once you have been hired, you must complete employment paperwork in the Student Services Office (K-Dub Hub), Pioneer Hall Room 285. For payroll purposes, the work-study contract, W-4 form, K-4 form and payroll direct deposit form must be completed as soon as possible. Federal law requires this paperwork must be completed before you begin employment in order to be paid. You will need to bring the following personal documents to determine employment eligibility:

  • social security card or state-issued birth certificate;
  • photo ID such as driver’s license or U.S. passport, when applicable.

To establish payroll direct deposit, you will need to provide a voided check from your checkbook or your bank account card with routing and account numbers.

After you have completed all the necessary paperwork in the K-Dub Hub, you will be set up on the student payroll system. The student employment wage is currently $7.25 per hour. Paydays are every two weeks on Fridays.

Financial Aid Options