Department of Biology
You are here
Welcome to the Department of Biology
The Department of Biology at Kansas Wesleyan University offers a wide range of courses designed to provide the student community with a comprehensive exposure to the living world.
The curriculum of the department is designed to introduce students to the varieties of organisms and phenomena found in the realm of biology. The department seeks to educate its students beyond the simple acquisition of information by encouraging active student participation in the actual “doing” of biology. Hands-on lecture activities are incorporated into most courses, and laboratories allow students to carry out experiments and procedures done by professionals in those fields of biology.
The department especially strives to encourage the development of the following qualities and abilities in its students:
- An appreciation of, curiosity about, and respect for living things and biological processes.
- A basic understanding of the important concepts and generalizations in biology.
- The ability to critically analyze past, present, and future ideas in biology.
- The skills necessary to conduct meaningful biological research in the field, the laboratory, and the library.
- The motivation to apply their knowledge of biology to improving their own lives and the global environment.
- Ability to successfully pursue advanced degrees or hold jobs related to biology
National Biological Honors Society & Departmental Clubs
Students can participate in three groups while at KWU, including the Beta Beta Beta National Biological Honors Society, the KWU Biology Club, and the KWU Medical & Health Society. Through these clubs, KWU students gain valuable experience with established professionals, engage and increase community awareness about a variety of biological topics, and have the opportunity to participate in local, national, and international field trips.
Biology Degrees Possible
A Bachelor of Science degree may be obtained for majors in Biology, Biomedical Chemistry, and Biology Education (Grades 6-12). The department also offers a Biology minor and a minor in Science &Technology.
Teacher Certification in Biology may be obtained for Secondary Level (Grades 6-12).